From the President: At a family gathering this last week, it was asked what does the Build A Plane program offer?
Drilling: Many youths have never experienced how to handle a drill. There is various techniques for the different metals you will be drilling on.
Welding: The kids love this! They are able to put a welding helmet on and under the supervision of Duane Kruse - weld various types of practice welds on numerous types of metal fabrications.
Metal Fabrication: John has been able to teach the kids how to form ribs for the aircraft we are re-building. It is a slow and loud technique -
Problem Solving: With any area that the kids work in there will be that time when they need to step back and ask - what do I need to do to make this happen.
Other types of equipment that the kids have been able to work with this quarter is: Sheet Metal Shear, Sheet Metal Brake, Drill Press, Sandblaster to name a few.
The biggest concern about running the Build A Plane program is financing for nine months and into the summer months. This year’s funding for the Build A Plane program was:
- Sale of the the Mini 500 Helicopter aircraft (donated 2014)
- Grant received from Sherburne County Area United Way 1/2 of a $1335.00 grant (the other 1/2 of the grant will be delivered sometime in February 2016).
- Shopko has just come in with a $250 grant that we should receive in a few weeks (for Spring of 2016).
- Buying and selling aircraft parts has also been a lucrative business for Flight Expo, Inc. Duane Kruse and John Bjornstad have been heading this area up.
- All Star Warbirds Custom Embroidery has a E-Bay store. For over the last three years the percentage from the items sold at ASWCE’s store has totaled over $3500.
You can help raise money with your purchases from Amazon! By using their AmazonSmile website (you would have to set up another account) and clicking on Flight Expo as your charitable organization; You Shop and Amazon Gives!
- Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the charitable organization of your choice.
- AmazonSmile is the same Amazon you know. Same products, same prices, same service.
- Support your charitable organization by starting your shopping at smile.amazon.com.
More instructors are needed. Last year we had 4-5 kids regularly, this year we are up to 8 - 9 kids on any given night or week end. Currently, John, myself and Duane help where needed in each class. John is FE’s Build A Plane project coordinator. The students arrive at 5:30pm and John already has stations for them in what he would like them to do. Duane will help pull one at a time to learn another skill. Myself - I take directions from John. Which goes to say - YES we do need more hands to help with the kids. Please consider helping to enrich the youth of today.